Radford Virginia History
In the small town of Radford in southwest Virginia, a hill lies in the middle of a large park, the Sanatorium Park St. Albans. This park separates the western industrial side of Radford from the eastern side, where Radman University is located. The park is often used by students from Radfords City and Rad Ford University for outdoor nature studies and is part of the Virginia Birding and Wildlife Trail. In the early 20th century, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, it earned recognition as one of the first public parks in Virginia.
During the Civil War, the area was the scene of the three-hour Battle of Central, which ended in the historic home of John Blair Radford, which borders the park and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Arnhem built the first public park in Virginia, Sanatorium Park St. Albans, and remained in Radford, where he married the Adams family, until he sold it in 1931 for 5,000 dollars to the city of Radfords City and Rad Ford University.
The institution, now known as Radford University, was founded in the spring of 1910 by the Virginia General Assembly. The property was transferred to Montgomery County Schools in 1921 and established as a full-fledged public school. It later became Radford College in 1924 and then, in 1979, would be renamed Radford's University. In 2010, the General Assembly granted Wheel Ford University university status, which led to its fifth name change.
The Virginia General Assembly passed a law in the spring of 1910 establishing Radford College and College of Arts and Sciences, the first public college in Virginia.
Montgomery County Land subsequently formed the basis for Radford College, the first public college in Virginia. The settlement included the original site of the Academy of Arts and Sciences, as well as a number of other buildings and buildings.
When the settlers began to move into what is now Christiansburg, they discovered that the area was also inhabited by the Shawnee and other Native American tribes. Although the Kiowa and Comanche tribes divided the land in the southern plains, the Native Americans in the northwest and southeast of the country were confined to the Indian territory of what is now Oklahoma, and before white men entered this territory, it was populated by gangs now called Sioux, Cherokee, and Iroquois. The Royal Proclamation of 1763 appeased the curtain for a while, but when the colonists began to sneak back into the country west of the New River, they made an offer to clean up the New River Valley.
Fairlawn, which was to be built in the area between the river and Radford in Pulaski County, also developed during this time.
During the Revolutionary War, the Preston family and other Patriot families were threatened by the American Revolutionary Army and the US Army Corps of Engineers (USAAF). It also crosses the Great Valley of Virginia and is of course part of an Indian Trail connected to the Appalachian Trail in New York City, and from there the trail heads east along the New River south to Wildwood Park. The former Radford foundry was demolished in the mid-19th century, as were the Old Town building and a number of other buildings. The complex is bordered by West Broad Street, East Main Street and West Main Avenue west of the old Radfords.
This disaster opened the border to Virginia for the Shawnee Indians of Ohio, who considered the New River Valley their land and home.
The New River Forge, as it would later be called, joined the railroad and the Lynchburg Foundry as important employers, creating a huge influx of people. Also during the war, the first railroad in the United States, the Virginia Railway and Bridge Company, debuted. It was opened in 1864, later part of Sealtest and later called the New York and New Jersey Railroad.
The original name of Radfords was Lovely Mount, after the location of the depot, but in 1891 the name was changed to Radfords. The post office was moved to Radford in 1870 and kept the name "Lovely Mount" until 1892, when it changed its name again, this time to the New River Forge Post Office.
Radford, or at least the station in the area, was known as the "Central Depot" until the New River Forge Post Office opened in 1892.
The location of the Dedmon Center was a campus change, as the new property on the New River was acquired by the railroad. At the end of World War II it was renamed the Radford Army Ammunition Plant, the first of its kind in the United States, and operations at the base were discontinued. The base was renamed the Radford Ordnance Plant, which was renamed The Radford Army Munitions Plant in 1963.
At a time when paved roads in southwest Virginia were rare, Radford proved to be a boom town, and the passage along the Lee Highway toward downtown was secured. The city, which was spread over 28 lots on the Wagenstrasse, prospered and served settlers who moved from Kentucky and Ohio. Hance, himself an entrepreneur from time to time, recognized the need to develop the area around the New River and the new railway line, as well as the potential for industrial development.